700 Main Street
Edmonds, WA 98020
"Our students at Edmonds Montessori develop self-motivation, independence,
and consideration for others and the environment. The children gain a strong
sense of self, learn to truly enjoy learning and the whole school experience.
We encourage exploration on a continuous basis, not molding ourselves to a schedule of events. With this philosophy we have developed a 3-year rotating curriculum that fosters the discovery of ourselves and the world around us.
We offer two classrooms that are identical in their quality, days, times, curriculum and materials. Both classrooms are staffed with two teachers and enroll up to 24 students. Within our classrooms we provide a warm comfortable setting in which each child can stretch their abilities and reach their potential.
We have designed the environment to encourage self-development as well as social and academic growth.
Because the word “Montessori” is in the public domain, it is possible for any individual or institution to claim to be Montessori. To be a certified
Montessori classroom the following characteristics must exist at all levels:
• Teachers must be credentialed in the Montessori philosophy and methodology for the age level they are teaching and have proven the ability and dedication to put the key concepts into practice.
• A partnership with the students families. The family is considered an integral part of the individual's total development.
• A multi-aged, multi-graded heterogeneous grouping of students.
• A diverse set of Montessori materials, activities and experiences which are designed to foster physical, intellectual, creative and social independence.
• A schedule which allows large blocks of time to problem-solve, to see connections in knowledge and to create new ideas.
• A classroom atmosphere which encourages social interaction for cooperative learning, peer teaching and emotional development.
Excerpted from the preschool's website