"Southwest HRA Head Start seeks to provide programming that will enhance children's growth and development in preparation for later academic and social pursuits. We believe the preschool years and the experiences the children have during these years are important to successful development therefore we make every effort to provide the highest quality program possible. We believe that growth and development are multi-dimensional therefore we offer the comprehensive services of education, medical, dental, and nutritional health, as well as social services. We believe that children with disabling conditions both benefit from and contribute to programming for preschool children therefore we make a special effort to serve and support children with disabling conditions. Finally, we believe that parents are the most important people in children's lives and that the support parents give children as they grow and develop is beneficial and crucial to their future success therefore we involve parents in all aspects of the program and support them in their roles as parents and providing for their families.
1. To provide qualified, well-trained staff who will interact with children in ways that will promote their development and understanding of themselves and others and their development of social skills and intellectual growth.
2. To provide a curriculum which encourages children to be actively involved in the learning process through a variety of appropriate activities and materials, and to learn about life, their communities, and the world as they develop skills that will support later academic endeavors.
3. To provide an indoor and outdoor physical environment which fosters optimal growth and development through opportunities for exploration and learning.
4. To protect and enhance the health and safety of children and adults at all times.
5. To meet the nutritional needs of children and adults in a manner that promotes physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development.
6. To provide training and support to staff so that they can best meet the needs of and promote the physical, social, and cognitive development of children.
7. To involve parents in the program in ways that enhance their abilities to support children's growth and development, and to assure that the Head Start Program effectively addresses their own goals for their children.
8. Provide opportunities for families that will assist them to becoming self-sufficient.
9. Provide a transitional process that will provide for a smooth transition of the family into the Head Start program, while offering transitional activities while in the Head Start program and provide activities that will result in a smooth transition into the local school system for the parent and child.
10. Establish Community Partnerships with other Agencies to provide and enhance services to our Head Start children and families.
Excerpted from the preschool's website