1521 Wappoo Drive
Charleston, SC 29407
|Play- based||mostly teacher led||not formally in curriculum||conducive environment|
|Nursery rhymes, poems, songs|
|Emerging literacy skills|
|Math & number sense||
|Time & space||
|Sci. reasoning/physical world||
|Other subjects taught|
The mission of Charles Towne Child Development Center is to provide a program that is responsible to the changing needs of the children, parents, faculty, staff, and community.
For the children, we strive to maintain a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment where the developmental needs of the children are addressed.
For the parents, we strive to keep the center affordable and available. It is our goal to serve as a resource for support and education.
For staff, we strive to provide an atmosphere that will attract and retain well-trained personnel by maintaining good working conditions. We encourage a sense of cooperation and open communication among members of the center. Charles Towne maintains high educational and training requirements for staff.
7:00-8:30 am Drop-off
8:30-8:45 am Morning Meeting
8:45-9:15 am Bathroom/Snack
9:15 -9:30 am Literacy Circle
9:30-9:45 am Journal Time
9:45-10:15 am Group Activity
10:15-11:15 am Centers/Small Group Instruction
11:15-11:30 am Outdoor Play/Shared Reading
11:30-12:15 pm Lunch/Clean Up/Bathroom
12:15-2:00 pm Rest Time
2:00 -2:30 pm Bathroom/Snack
2:30-6:00 pm Outdoor Play/Pick-Up
Schedule may be changed as needed. Free play may be substituted when the weather does not permit outside play.
1. Parent-Teacher Communication â€“ Parents and teachers need to communicate! Please feel free to talk to your childâ€™s teacher at school or drop a note in the comment box in the front hallway. We provide daily Take-Home folders for each child so that parents know whatâ€™s going on the classroom; folders provide the opportunity for parents to write notes to the classroom teacher. We also provide note boxes in the kitchen for parents who need to leave a quick reminder/note for their childâ€™s teacher. As always, we welcome e-mails to our school account firstname.lastname@example.org â€“ e-mails that are specific to your childâ€™s teacher will be forwarded to their e-mail address. In addition, parents are expected to escort their child to their classroom. This is a good time to speak with the teacher, especially if she is not involved in teaching the class. Please remember â€“ we prefer written communication because it is very hard for our teachers to remember everything about everyone!
2. Center Evaluation â€“ Parents will be given an opportunity on an annual basis to evaluate the center, its program, and our ability to meet your needs in January. These are very important to us. Please take the time to fill it out and return it when it is received.
3. Teacher Conferences - Conferences between teachers and parents will be held in January for the 3 and 4 year-old classrooms. Conferences may also be held anytime the need occurs. In May, conferences will be held for all classes, as needed, to determine promotion to the next classroom. Promotion to the next classroom depends on age, the childâ€™s development, and/or whether the child is fully potty-trained. If we feel that promoting the child will be a detriment to him/her, this will be discussed with the parent(s) at conference time.
4. Special Programs - The staff and children of Charles Towne CDC will present something special for parents and friends in December. Participation is encouraged for all! Graduation will also be held for rising kindergartners and their families in the spring. These special events will be posted and you will be notified in advance.
5. Field Trips - Field trips will occur throughout the year. We believe they are a valuable learning experience for your child. These trips cannot succeed without the support and cooperation of you, the parents. Information about the field trips will be sent home in advance through your childâ€™s Take-Home folder. Field trip slips need to be turned in with your childâ€™s field trip payments (if needed) in his/her folder. Field trip slips and money are due before or on the due date as specified on the slip. Children who do not turn in their slip and money by the due date will NOT be allowed to attend the trip. We try our best to make alternate plans at school for those students who are not attending the field trip but if we donâ€™t have enough time and/or the appropriate staff to accommodate your child in this situation, he/she may not attend school that day. Field trips are taken by bus, but additional volunteer drivers are usually needed. If you sign up to drive children in your car, you must have current car insurance and a clean driving record. Volunteer drivers also need to be aware and agree to abide by the Charles Towne CDC driving regulations. Children who are late to school on field trip days may NOT attend the field trip; children must be at the school at the time stated on the field trip to attend.
6. Classroom Visits - You are welcome at anytime to visit or join a class at Charles Towne. If you have something special you would like to share, we would be very happy to have you bring it in. The more parent participation we have, the better overall experience for the children. We do ask that you talk with your childâ€™s teacher about your visit ahead of time so we can plan the best way to take advantage of your time with us.
7. Special Materials - During the year, there will be times when you will be asked to bring in special materials for the school or your childâ€™s class. We welcome any special snacks, classroom activities, etc. that you would like to share with your childâ€™s class. Please make sure to notify your childâ€™s teacher in advance when you are sending something in.
8. Volunteers - We will be giving you many opportunities to volunteer at Charles Towne throughout the year. These opportunities include field trips, special school parties, and joining the classes to share special topics of interest. Charles Towne also has an annual Work Day for parents and Yard Sale that requires parent participation.
9. Parentâ€™s Night Out - Several times during the year, Charles Towne CDC will host a Parentâ€™s Night Out. It usually runs from 6:00pm until 10:00 pm and has a theme. The children have a party while their parents enjoy a night out. Advanced sign up is required and a minimum of ten children is necessary. A sign-up sheet is posted in the hallway before each Parentâ€™s Night Out.
10. Birthdays â€“ Birthdays are very special to us here at Charles Towne! We love to celebrate birthdays! However, if you chose to celebrate your childâ€™s birthday at school, we ask that you do the following things:
â€¢ If you would like to bring a special snack for your childâ€™s birthday, please let your childâ€™s teacher know in advance. This way, we can plan our day around the celebration and can let you know if there are any food allergies in your childâ€™s class.
â€¢ If you would like to celebrate your childâ€™s birthday with a field trip, please contact your childâ€™s teacher at least 2 weeks in advance. We will provide transportation to and from the party and supervision during the party, but the planning of the field trip and its financial responsibilities lie with you, the parents of the birthday child.
â€¢ If you are having a birthday party outside of school and would like to send invitations to school, we do not mind passing them out for you. However, if you are not inviting the entire class, we ask that you hand them directly to a teacher so we can discreetly place them in the Take-Home folders.