1600 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02465
Our mission is to give preschool children and families an opportunity to experience growth by providing experiences that encourage participation and interaction in their environment.
We promote an anti-bias perspective that acknowledges and celebrates differences. We are committed to the concept that parents are the first and most important teachers of their children. We encourage and support parents to grow as their primary teacher by providing opportunities to become involved in many different ways. We strive to increase the ability of children and families to cope with and initiate change in their lives and build upon the gains made through their experiences.
Arrival, greeting, free choice
* Block area, Dramatic Play area, Library area, Sand/Water table, Science area are learning centers located in the classroom that are open to children and provide them with materials to engage in solitary or small group play.
* Literacy is an important component to the Creative Start curriculum. There are ample books throughout the classroom that children can access. In addition, books are read in large group and small group with opportunities for questions, conversations and discussions about the books.
Washing Hand/Tooth Brushing
* The development of children’s self-help skills helps build confidence and promotes healthy habits for life. Children are encouraged to wash their hands before meals and after play. Tooth brushing is done after meals.
* Is done daily, weather permitting, and can be playing in the playground, taking neighborhood walks or visiting local playgrounds.
* Allows children and teacher to discuss the daily schedule, discuss relevant topics such as the weather or the ongoing classroom theme.
* Teachers will provide children with a choice between 2-3 activities that are related to the theme they are covering.
* Not all children nap and rest time allows those children who nap an opportunity to do so. For other children, it is an opportunity to rest and do a quiet activity, such as looking at a book.
Snack and Table Activities
Choice Activities and departure
When your child is accepted, a meeting will be held during which time you will come to the Center with your child. You will complete a variety of forms including emergency contact information, permission forms, releases, etc. A home visit with the teacher will be scheduled to take place before your child starts to attend the program. The home visit allows the teacher to get to know you and your child in the comfort of the child’s home. This has been found to be an excellent way to transition young children into a child care setting. When these visits and forms are completed, your child will be ready to attend the program.