12 Hatton Avenue
Spreckels, CA 93962
"1. The Montessori method is based on years of patient observation of children's natures.
2. It has been successful for children of almost every nation, race, color, climate, nationality, social rank, and type of civilization.
3. Children love intellectual work, spontaneously chosen and carried out with profound joy.
4. Children need to learn by doing. At each stage in the child's mental growth, Montessori classrooms provide activities to help the child develop.
5. The Montessori classroom offers spontaneity, and can help children reach a higher level of scholastic achievement than in traditional classrooms.
6. Montessori teachers develop discipline without the need for rewards and punishments. It is a proactive discipline that originates with the child.
7. The Montessori method is based on a profound respect for the child's personality, enabling the child to grow independently.
8. Teachers work with children individually in each subject, guiding them according to individual needs.
9. Each child works at his/her own pace. Quick learners are not held back, and those who need more time are not pushed ahead before they are ready.
10. The Montessori teachers work to eliminate competition. There are plenty of opportunities among the children for mutual help- which is joyfully given and gratefully received.
11. Without competition and coercion, the child is freed from overstrain, feelings of inferiority, and other common negative educational experiences.
12. The Montessori method develops the whole personality of the child, not merely intellectual faculties, but also powers of deliberation, initiative, and independent choice. By living as a member of a social community, the child develops the qualities that form the basis of good citizenship and a lifelong love of learning.
Excerpted from the preschool's website