1957 Pruneridge Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95050
|Play- based||mostly teacher led||not formally in curriculum||conducive environment|
|Nursery rhymes, poems, songs|
|Emerging literacy skills|
|Math & number sense||
|Time & space||
|Sci. reasoning/physical world|
|Other subjects taught||"If everyone went to Miss Kate's Preschool... We would all know that we are very loved. We would learn to speak up to others, with continual direction and reinforcement from Miss Kate to 'Use your words.' We would know that it's ok to be sad. Some days are just like that. We would know that it's ok miss our mothers and fathers when they leave. We would drive with a policy of zero crashes. We would know that we must take turns and share, because there are limited resources. We would work cooperatively, not competitively. We would take our turn to share things that are special to us...and others would listen. We would thank God for the food we are about to eat, and for each person in the room, and we would know that with God all things are possible. We would get extra hugged, held and loved when we get hurt; and lots of practice receiving comfort. We would clean up after ourselves...after we've made a glorious mess. Life, including art and play, is sometimes wonderfully messy. We would learn at an early age not to carry weapons and we would appreciate why. We would know how wonderful it is to be different and unique creations...and how boring the world would be if we were all the same. We would learn to pay attention to what we're doing, evaluate if it seems safe, and to problem- solve if it doesn't. There would be a lot more common sense in the world!. We would do our packets, enjoy our learning and be ready for the next step in our lives. We would know that learning comes from within and that exploration and discovery are good ways to learn. We would know that learning is about process, not outcome. We would know that play is a necessary part of life. We would know that there are natural consequences to actions and that sometimes the only thing we can do is apologize and help to rebuild. We would know that when we have done something less than desirable, we are very loved...and we know we will be able to move on. Most of all, we would know we are blessed to have Miss Kate and her ministry housed here...and the world is a much better place for it." Extracted from www.st-marks.org/stMarksPreschool|
From the Director:
"Cooking Science Music Art Language Dress-up Playhouse Music Outside play Puzzles Books Manipulative play Blocks." Extracted from www.st-marks.org/stMarksPreschool
"Children's self-esteem is based on pride in themselves, their families, their cultures.
We encourage families to share their cultures, beliefs and traditions with our students. The family is, and should be, the primary influence on the child; Cooperative efforts of parents and teachers are essential to providing an enriching learning experience for all children.
St. Mark's Preschool serves children of all religious and ethnic heritages.
At St. Mark's Preschool you will see:
- Small class sizes (10-12 students per class)
- An open-ended program designed to encourage and challenge a growing child's creative and intellectual abilities;
- Hands-on learning experiences and opportunities for self-discovery offered in small group learning centers;
- Classrooms and an outside play area designed to meet the small and large motor skills of young children;
- A developmentally appropriate environment where individual learning styles are accepted and accommodated;
- An `at-their-own-pace' attitude toward preschool and early childhood learning;
- Children learning to make free choices within safe limits;
- Children learning social and intellectual skills that will help prepare them for elementary school;
- A Christian program designed to build a child's self-esteem, awareness of others and their world through the understanding and sharing of God's love for us all."
Extracted from www.st-marks.org/stMarksPreschool
"Sample Daily Schedule
Greeting and assembling
Brief outside time
Circle time: stories/felt-board/music
Featured learning centers
Free choice activity time
Clean-up and snack time
Extracted from www.st-marks.org/StMarksPreschool