Columbus Drive (301 East) and Congress Parkway (500 South)
Chicago, IL 60602
The Fountain officially opened to the public on May 26, 1927 and was dedicated on August 26, 1927. As the centerpiece of Grant Park—“Chicago’s Front Yard”, architect Edward H. Bennett (1874–1954) designed the Fountain to serve as the park’s formal focal point without obstructing the views of the Lake Michigan. Kate Sturges Buckingham (1858-1937) dedicated the structure to the people of Chicago in 1927 in memory of her late brother, Clarence, donating one million dollars for the Fountain.