Getting Ready for the First Day of School
August 19, 2010
When does school start for your kids? Next week? The week after? Or do you have until after Labor Day this year?
The answer for all of us is, in any case, SOON, if not already. It's true: the long days of summer are steadily coming to a close.
So, what can we do to get ourselves and our little ones ready?
Denial is no longer possible, and panic is really not all that effective. Instead, we prefer to sit down and make a good to-do list.
- Dig out all of the school mailings you received back in June. Remember those medical forms you were supposed to fill out? The emergency contact and authorized pick up lists? If they somehow slipped your mind during the daze of summer heat, now is the time to fill them out and send them in, pronto.
- Retailers always hype back-to-school shopping, but for the preschool years, you don't need much. Get the essentials (i.e. a little back pack and shoes that fit), but take a wait-and-see-what-you-really-need approach to the rest.
- If there's still time, organize a play date with a schoolmate before the first day. A friendly face in the crowd is a huge comfort.
- In the unlikely event that your child is counting down the days until school starts, here's a fun way to Ring In the Big Day.
- Pretend play can help a kid adjust to almost any new situation. What better time to play Be the Teacher!
- Amidst the back-to-school frenzy, be sure to spend some cozy, unhurried time with your little ones. If you're not anxious about school, they probably won't be either.
- Get ready to get up early! Start moving up your child's bedtime and wake-up time now so that he's fully rested on the first day.
- The night before, pick and lay out an outfit for the first day with your child. This will make your morning so much easier!
- Likewise, decide on a lunch menu together. (And don't forget to put a little note or surprise in the lunch box!)
- Finally, plan a special after school treat or outing on the first day. This gives your little scholar something to look forward to, and you will (hopefully) get to hear all about how things went. Exciting!
Tell us, what is on your to-do list?