There are summer plans that involve logistics, calendars, and childcare arrangements. And then there are the summer plans that we've been waiting for all year long, the special summer fun we want to make sure our preschoolers don't miss.
Here's our list of 10 things we can't wait to plan for our preschoolers this summer:
1. Water Play. Swimming, splashing around at the beach, sprinklers at the park, or Slip 'N Slide on the lawn -- we want our kids to get wet this summer!
2. Ice cream cones and watermelon. Eating them outside and not caring about the drips!
3. Picnics. Often.
4. Lots of time outside, lots of time in nature.
5. An air-conditioned movie. (We're excited to take our kids to see Babies. How about you?)
6. Regular visits to the local library. Kids and parents need to stock up on summer reading!
7. Growing a vegetable, and then eating it.
8. Growing flowers, and picking them for someone special.
9. Staying up late to see the stars, if only just once.
10. Getting a chance to play with far-flung cousins, or friends you've missed all year.
That's a lot to plan, right there. But we're ready. Summer, here we come!
We parents have our own memories of summer -- the hallmarks of the season unlike all others. But what will our own little ones remember? We can't be sure, of course. And we recognize that what they retain is often a product of forces other than wh... read more
Ice cream, of course! Soaring summer temperatures call for cool summertime treats, and ice cream is without a doubt at the top of the list. I have such fond memories of making homemade ice cream with my family as a child, sitting out on the hot drive... read more