So, today is the first of July. (Rabbit, rabbit.) Summer may have started officially with the solstice two weekends ago, but today it seems undeniable. Not just calendar-real, but real-real. It's July. It's summer. The heat is on.
And to celebrate this long, lazy month of pure summer fun, Being Savvy is going to take you and your family away. Where, you may ask? Well, all sorts of places, near, far, real and imagined. July's theme is Escapes, Real and Imagined.
Stay tuned as we take a fabulous, month-long vacation together, Savvy style.
To set the scene, today's Tuesday List Day brings you some of our favorite summertime tunes. The songs that makes us think of sun-drenched days and places near and loved, or far away and dreamed of. The beats that get us up and hopping around.
Here are some of our picks -- what are yours?
5. "Here Comes the Sun" from Abbey Road by the Beatles. The perfect summer morning wake-up music. (It will cheer you, even when rise and shine time these days for both the sun and your little darling is woefully early.)
4. Joni Mitchell's "All I Want" is pale summer sunlight, digitized. Plus, it's so fun to sing "I want to shampoo you" to that adorable little face you love best!
3. Cesaria Evora's voice takes us non-stop to the islands. Listen to "Flor Na Paul" while sitting in the warm shade and watching your kids play with the hose, and you'll be fluent in the Cape Verde local dialect in an afternoon.
2. U2's "Beautiful Day" feels an awful lot like summer's anthem.
1. Our all-time sunniest song is the rather hard-to-find In the Middle of the Ocean by a rather young Tony Bennett. Two minutes, ten seconds of pure summer.
There are summer plans that involve logistics, calendars, and childcare arrangements. And then there are the summer plans that we've been waiting for all year long, the special summer fun we want to make sure our preschoolers don't miss.Here's our li... read more
Nothing says summer like a drippy, delicious ice cream cone. Except maybe a drippy, delicious ice cream clutched in the mitts of your flush-cheeked preschooler! Consider it a newly declared national holiday -- go get an ice cream today! Chocola... read more