So, today is the first of July. (Rabbit, rabbit.) Summer may have started officially with the solstice two weekends ago, but today it seems undeniable. Not just calendar-real, but real-real. It's July. It's summer. The heat is on.
And to celebrate this long, lazy month of pure summer fun, Being Savvy is going to take you and your family away. Where, you may ask? Well, all sorts of places, near, far, real and imagined. July's theme is Escapes, Real and Imagined.
Stay tuned as we take a fabulous, month-long vacation together, Savvy style.
To set the scene, today's Tuesday List Day brings you some of our favorite summertime tunes. The songs that makes us think of sun-drenched days and places near and loved, or far away and dreamed of. The beats that get us up and hopping around.
Here are some of our picks -- what are yours?
5. "Here Comes the Sun" from Abbey Road by the Beatles. The perfect summer morning wake-up music. (It will cheer you, even when rise and shine time these days for both the sun and your little darling is woefully early.)
4. Joni Mitchell's "All I Want" is pale summer sunlight, digitized. Plus, it's so fun to sing "I want to shampoo you" to that adorable little face you love best!
3. Cesaria Evora's voice takes us non-stop to the islands. Listen to "Flor Na Paul" while sitting in the warm shade and watching your kids play with the hose, and you'll be fluent in the Cape Verde local dialect in an afternoon.
2. U2's "Beautiful Day" feels an awful lot like summer's anthem.
1. Our all-time sunniest song is the rather hard-to-find In the Middle of the Ocean by a rather young Tony Bennett. Two minutes, ten seconds of pure summer.
One thing we notice about our preschoolers on vacation (even more than during regular life) is what avid little collectors they are. As they relish days at the pool, games with cousins, or even your road trip rest stops, they are also busy gathering ... read more
Anytime is a good time for reading, but summertime -- when days are longer and the list of places to be is shorter -- is an especially good time. Books about summer, swimming and the beach make good summer reads for younger kids, book series make goo... read more