You signed up for the Savvy Savings weekly email:
Civil War Re-Enactment
St. Catherine's Academy
Spend a day in history this weekend. Visit St. Catherine's Military Academy's annual Civil War Re-Enactment in Anaheim. Professional re-enactors will educate and entertain while participating in historic events before your eyes. You will even have the opportunity to meet Abraham Lincoln and listen to a presentation of the Gettysburg Address. Don't miss the trivia challenge that takes you on a scavenger hunt all around St. Catherine's Campus.
This is an approximate schedule of the day's events:
The Civil War is brought to life! Professional Civil War re-enactors come from all over southern California to participate in this annual event held at St. Catherine's Academy.
Schedule of Events
- Meet President Abraham Lincoln
- Tour Union and Confederate encampments
- Watch battles with over 200 re-enactors (am/pm)
- Visit the sutlers' marketplace
- Participate in the Trivia Challenge - a historical scavenger hunt
Times are approximate. Same schedule for Saturday & Sunday.
Admission for A Day In History
- 9:30 AM Re-enactors’ Muster Call & Musket Inspection
- 10:30 AM Inspection of Union & Confederate Troops • Presentation of VMI flag
- 11:00 AMNew Market Skirmish • VMI Roll Call - of Fallen Cadets • Pass In Review
- 11:45 AMAbraham Lincoln- Gettysburg Address
- 12:00 NOONMid-Day Activities – Living History • Camps Open to the Public • Trivia Challenge • Mercantile Open for Trade • Regimental Hospital Receiving Patients • Displays – Class projects, Book Fair • Artillery Demonstration • Picnic with Re-enactors
- 2:00 PM Afternoon Battle – Conclusive Union Victory • Platoon Drill with Arms
- 3:00 pmCamps closed to the public
$4 for children, seniors, and students with valid student ID$7 for adultsMore Educational Opportunities
- Trivia ChallengeUnique to St. Catherine's, the Trivia Challenge is a historical scavenger hunt that sends students around St. Catherine's 8-acre campus to learn about the Civil War. Students must interact and converse with re-enactors in order to complete the challenge.Students may ask a soldier what he carries in his haversack, watch a surgeon comfort a wounded man at the field hospital, or even learn the lingo of 1860’s baseball. A new Trivia Challenge is created each year depending on which groups of re-enactors will be present at the event. Students can pick up the Trivia Challenge at the event . Answers will be posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011. Teachers are encouraged to use the Trivia Challenge for extra credit. Examples from past years are available on our Downloads tab (see above).
- Free Classroom PresentationsIn the two weeks leading up to the re-enactment, St. Catherine’s volunteer, former educator, and history buff Mary Crowley travels to local schools with a classroom presentation she has perfected over the last twelve years. Using PowerPoint, poster boards, and good old-fashioned story-telling, this 30-40-minute presentation helps students better understand the New Market Skirmish, which is re-enacted during both days of the Civil War Weekend.The presentation includes a brief explanation about the events that led up to the New Market Skirmish, the skirmish itself, and the key role of cadets from Virginia Military Institute. It also provides critical information of how the skirmish will be played out on the battlefield and what the students need to look for during the re-enactment.Classroom presentations are provided free of charge and on a first-come, first-served basis. Interested schools and children’s groups can schedule a presentation by calling St. Catherine’s at (714) 772-1363.
- Additional ResourcesA flier, study guide, and PowerPoint presentation are available on our Downloads tab (see above).
St. Catherine’s Academy215 N. Harbor BlvdAnaheim, CA 92805714-772-1363VIDEO DOWNLOADS REQUEST ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Event Category Fairs and Festivals
- Event Cost Under $10
|$4 for children, seniors, and students with valid student ID
$7 for adults|
- Event Ages 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12+
St. Catherine's Academy
215 N. Harbor Blvd